Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sometimes it's cheaper to go with the extended warranty...

We've all the the experience of buying some piece of electronic gear and had the sales person give you the hard sell on the extra warranty package.  Common wisdom is to turn it down.  That it's not worth the extra money.

I just got back from the store with my third camera in less than a year. 

Yes. I said third. 

I feel a little sick.

The first camera was $330, and met its death in a cup of beer within one week. The second one was a bit cheaper at $199.  I just couldn't stomach putting out so much again.  Sadly, that one died last month at the beach. 

Turns out, sand is not a friend of electronics.  Who knew!

This time, I spent just $129, and opted for the extra warranty plan.  Yes, I am coming to terms with the fact that I am one of the few who could benefit from the
"I accidentally dropped my camera on the ground and ran over it" warranties.


Erika

No comments: