Monday, June 1, 2009

Making Jam & Surprise Safeway Catalina

When my husband defrosted and cleaned out our garage freezer a couple weeks ago (isn't he great?!), I noticed that I had a couple bags of frozen berries left over from last summer. My mom suggested that I make some freezer jam with it. I've never made jam by myself before, although I did grow up helping my mom can everything from peaches and pears to green beans, applesauce and pickles. So far, that gene hasn't hit me :)


Anyways, I figured that I'd make a blog post about making jam once I got around to it. Some of you may have noticed that Crystal at Money Saving Mom had a guest post about freezer jam this week too. Funny how that happens. I promise I'm not copying her, haha!


So for the catalina deal, I got a surprise $1 off your next purchase catalina when I bought 2 boxes of Sure-Jell pectin. I'm not sure how much longer the cat deal will last, but if you are thinking of making jam, buy it now!

Every type of jam has a different recipe, but I was surprised at how easy it was to make. It's literally 3 ingredients, and from start to finish it took less than 30 minutes to make a double batch of freezer jam - about 6 1/2 pints.

The verdict - my kids love it! I love it too, although it is very sweet. I may try using a lower sugar type of pectin next time.


Erika

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Can you share the recipe?

Saving 4 My Family said...

Thanks Erika!! I'm excited to make this jam. I plan on getting the Sure Jell Pectin this week, i'll let you know if I get a cat.

Christina :-)

Saving 4 My Family said...

Lisa, from what I understand, the recipe varies depending on the type of pectin and berries you use. In the box of pectin there are directions for pretty much every kind of jam or jelly you could make.

Erika

Anonymous said...

FYI - Fred Meyer has the catalina deal still (06/27) but I have a question - Im new to couponing at Freddie's so I don't know their rules. Can a "freddie's" coupon be combined with a manuf. coupon?
Example: Fred Meyers pectins are on sale this week for 2/$4 and there is a man. coupon for "buy 2 pectins, get free sugar (up to $2.00)" and Freddies coupon is "buy 4 pectins, get a 5 lb bag of Fred Meyer sugar free" - Can I buy 4 pectins, then use 2 man. coupons and 1 freddies coupon together (and get 3 free sugars)