Thursday, January 8, 2009

Stockpile Inspiration

I remember seeing pictures of some one's stockpile for the first time and being so motivated by it. So I thought I'd share some of mine! Keep in mind that I have been doing this for one year now.

This is in our garage. Yes, I am constantly made fun of for my Windex stash!
Top shelf: pasta, canned beans & tomatoes
Bottom shelf: applesauce, lipton onion soup mixes, chicken stock, pickles, canned soup
This is in an unfinished part of our basement. A couple months into using coupons I talked my husband into building me shelves so that I could store it all in an organized way.

I store canned apple cider, juice, cereal, pasta, pasta sauce, condiments and boxed items like brownie mixes on these shelves.
Since it is a basement and I've had problems with mice in the past, I store chips and cookies in big plastic bins. Both of these bins were completely full in the summer.
You can see that we haven't had many sales since then on these kind of products!

Cookie bin.

I store the drinks on the floor since I ran out of room on the shelves.

The diaper stash!

These shelves hold all the household items. Below are some closer pictures of these shelves.
Hair products.

Tooth paste, tooth brushes & feminine products.

Random medications.

Cleaning supplies.


I never imagined that having a stockpile like this would be so useful and help me save so much money. Here are just a few ways I have been able to save money with it.

1. In September I had my first garage sale ever, and the majority of what we sold was from my stockpile. I ended up making $545 in a day and a half. I was pretty pleased since it was the end of September, and really past garage sale season.

2. I also use my stockpile for gifts. All of my families stocking stuffers came out of here this year. I also use it for bridal gifts. I will buy a nice basket and fill it with useful things like cleaning supplies, toilet paper, glade air fresheners, soaps, etc.

3. I don't have to run to the store so often because I have many staple items already.

Erika

11 comments:

Heather said...

AWESOME! Love the pics Erika:-0 I will show Ben the garage organizer and hopefully inspire him to buy me one hee hee:-) I'm with you on the gifts, everyone's Christmas gift was from the good ol' stockpile. Isnt it a nice feeling being stocked and organized? Can I just say HELLO diapers wow you are ready for #3 and 4 and 5

Rebecca Rose said...

Impressive!!! You've done a great job getting stocked up. I really liked the picture of the Windex stash, it gave me a laugh! :-)

Emily said...

Wow...you could open your own convenience store! :) haha.
Looks great!!!
Thanks for sharing

Pam said...

AWESOME pics, Erika!! I'm jealous of your shelving & organization. Most of mine is in my laundry room closet & in the pantry. Too funny about the Windex...gotta love Sfwy, though! Is it sad that I can remember most of the deals just by looking at your stash! :)

Saving 4 My Family said...

Erika, oh my goodness your stockpile puts mine to shame. not sure if I will post now, lol!! Your Diapers are totally overflowing too! I guess I wont have to bring extra diaps when Ava comes over :-)

Christina

Saving 4 My Family said...

Pam, I LOL when you said you can remember the deals by the pictures. I totally do that too.

Yes, my neighbors must think I'm crazy when they see all the windex in the garage. In my defense, I only got that many because I was being "paid" to buy them at the time!

Erika

Anonymous said...

I definitely want that! I have a new goal- yay :) I take it you did all that within your grocery budget you posted a while back?
When you say that you got paid to buy Windex, was that from coupons?
Thanks for all you do for us! I did Albs deals today and am in shock of what I left with.
By the way, if you use the coupons and buy all the Jolly Time popcorn, you can mail in 3 UPS codes and get a free reusable grocery bag.

Saving 4 My Family said...

Drea, I found that when I started using coupons, I still spent as much as I did before, but came home with way more food. Reason being that I was stocking up on things that were on sale, but still needed the other normal stuff that I didn't have on hand. As months past I noticed my total out of pocket going down. I would say that I was able to bring it down to between $200-$250 at around 6 months in.

I became better about what I spend each month once the economy went down so much, and I got serious about eliminating our debt (September 08). That's when I started making written goals, switched to the cash system and started saving to pay off our car and for an emergency fund.

I can't remember the exact windex deal, but I think you got a cat back when you bought a certain amount (kind of like the pampers deal).

Erika

Drea said...

Thanks for the answers! When you said that you got paid to get the Windex I thought maybe you were one of the bloggers who got free stuff from companies.

Beeb said...

Great job! Glad I'm not the only one with way too much Windex:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3121/2709579720_78bfa38a23.jpg

Sounds like you did the cat deal at Safewat, too. LOL!

Holly said...

Oh my word! First of all...I am jealous of your storage. Good job! When there is a natural disaster, I know who to call for some aid! :o)