Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Coupon Organization

Continuing a series I started a couple days ago for those of you just getting started with coupons, here is how I organize my coupons. Everyone seems to have their own method, but this is what has worked for me. (If the pictures are too small to see detail, click on them to enlarge.)

Here's my coupon binder. There is an outside pocket where I keep scissors, loose coupons I haven't filed yet, pens, etc.
Here's the first page as you open the binder. I use baseball type plastic sheets, and as you will see below, I use both the two pocket and three pocket style. I think it just depended on what I was able to find at the time. I have pockets for the top four stores that I shop at as well as one for dining out coupons and rebates.


Next I have each category divided with tabs and labeled.

Inside each tab I have sub categories for my coupons. For example, my first tab is Condiments. The sub categories in Condiments are:
General Condiments
Dressings
Sauces
Spices
Salsa
Pickles & Relishes
Here's another picture of my 3 pocket style for all of you who are visual learners like me.
This is in the Household category. The sub categories for the Household tab are:
Diapers & Wipes
Oral Hygiene
Make-Up
Shaving
Hair Products
Feminine
General Meds
Vitamins
Pain Meds
Cold Meds
Laundry
Kleenex/Paper Towels/Toilet Paper
Deodorizers
Other Cleaners
Kitchen Cleaners
Bath Cleaners
Dishwasher Soap
Plastic Products
Batteries
Deodorant & Misc.
Lotion & Soap
Other Household Items
This is how I organize my coupons when I clip them on Saturday's. I normally buy two sets of the paper. I put both pages of coupons together so that I only have to clip each set once. Then I organize each coupon in a stack corresponding to the sub categories I have made in my binder.
The whole process doesn't take much time once you take the time to set up an organized system for yourself :) Watch for more bargain hunting inspiration in the next couple days through pictures of our stockpiles!


Erika

10 comments:

Rebecca Rose said...

It looks/sounds like I organize mine just about like you except I use baseball card holder sheets. Thanks for sharing!

Saving 4 My Family said...

Erika, I really need to get a binder for my coupons. I'm too cheap to spend $7.99, LOL! Getting more organized is one of my new year resolutions. I like how you have them organized too.

Thanks for all the tips this week and the awesome diaper deal at Albies.

Christina :-)

Anna said...

I am adopting this system-thanks for sharing. Do you take this binder to the store with you? How many papers do you purchase to stock up on all the double coupons? I am just learning the couponing way, and feeling a little...obsessive! How much time is "normal" to spend on couponing? Thanks for taking the time to help us all with your EXCELLENT deals and guidance!

Frugal Living Online said...

I keep changing my coupon organization and after looking at yours I am tempted to change it again! Nice work:)
Rebecca

Saving 4 My Family said...

Rebecca, I need to change my couponing method too! I'm thinking of switching to Erika's method. Are you still planning a coupon class this month? It would be fun to get us local girls together so we can swap, organize, and help each other out.

Thanks,
Christina

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this! I just bought my binder a few days ago and am starting to get organized. I also got a label maker for Christmas so this will be fun!

Anonymous said...

PS- Would you mind posting a list of all the categories and sub-categories you have? I know it would be long, but I think that would really help me.

Saving 4 My Family said...

Drea,
I don't mind posting the categories and sub-categories at all! I'll add it to the coupon binder post. I'm glad to help you get started :)

Erika

Anna said...

I am having trouble finding the divided plastic sheets. I checked at RiteAid and Target so far. Any suggestions?

Saving 4 My Family said...

Anna, I got mine at Bi-Mart and Office Depot. Hope that helps!

Erika