Thursday, June 3, 2010

Organic & Natural Living Thursday


Have you ever wondered about how safe the ingredients in the cosmetics, lotions, sunscreens, soaps, shampoos and perfumes you use are? There is a great resource called Skin Deep: Cosmetic Safety Data Base .

Skin Deep is a safety guide for cosmetics and personal care products brought to you by the researchers at the Environmental Working Group. Simply enter the name of the product you are wondering about, and it will give it a safety rating, 0-10. Ten being the most toxic.



Although, we have yet to see the sun here in the NW, I'm sure many of you are still thinking about stocking up on the sunscreen. Seriously. This has been the wettest Spring I've ever seen. The sun has GOT to come out soon!

Go HERE to find out more about sunscreen safety for 2010. Out of more than 500 sunscreen products on the market, EWG recommends just 39. That's 8% of the total market!


I'll be honest, I have a love/hate relationship with information like this. I like being informed and able to make good choices for the products we use, but I hate finding out that some of my favorite products (some of them expensive!) have a high rating. There are also some products that I haven't wanted to know the rating....like sunless tanner. Anyone else? :)


Erika

No comments: