Saturday, June 12, 2010

How is your garden growing?

I am totally loving my garden this year, but I'll confess, I'm no expert. This is the first year I've put in a real effort into gardening. I've tried and failed a lot of times. I figure, at least now I know what NOT to do! :)

Back in March, when we were having lots of warm, sunny days (remember them? I barely do!), we planted our seeds in egg cartons.



And I had my husband make me some raised planter beds.
<>
Here's how they look today!

The planter box in the back has sugar snap peas (looking quite wild!), yellow squash, some spinach and *hopefully* some lemon cucumbers.

The front planter box has tons of lettuce, red and yellow peppers, chili peppers, and green and yellow onions. In fact, I haven't had to buy lettuce for the past 3-4 weeks. Love that!

I have 5 tomato plants on my deck (one in a topsy turvy not pictured).

About two weeks ago I noticed that the tomato plant's leaves were turning yellow with black spots. I took a leaf in to a garden store to try to figure out what was going on. It turns out it was some kind of fungus from too much moisture.....Hmmm, I wonder why!





So here's what I did. If you can't tell, I wrapped the cages in saran wrap from bottom to top. It created a kind of greenhouse effect, plus kept the rain off the plants. If you look closely, you can see how much the plants have grown over the past couple weeks. Not bad for how cool and rainy it has been!





Erika

No comments: