Monday, May 24, 2010

Weekly Menu Plan


This last week I took some time to reevaluate my recent menu plans. My least favorite time of day is 4:30 - 6:30pm, when I'm trying to get dinner together and Willow is fussy and wants to be held constantly, but isn't ready for bed. Most days I'm totally stressed out trying to get dinner together and on the table for all of us at the same time.


Dinner time as a family is honestly not a relaxing experience for us right now. Reality doesn't match what I feel like it should look like in my head! Once we all sit down, Aspen and Journey invariably argue over which chair they are going to sit in or who's going to pray. Half the time I hear "do I have to eat that?" or "how many bites do I have to eat?". I have to hold Willow and try to eat at the same time. Holding on a real conversation is impossible, and I end up inhaling my food. Can anyone relate???

So I've realized two things:
1. I need to plan more crock pot/easier type meals for the days we all eat together as a family.
2. I'm not going to feel guilty about the 2-3 meals a week my husband and I eat together without the kids (after they go to bed).


Monday: Moroccan chicken stew with sweet potatoes, couscous, spinach salad
Tuesday: Homemade tomato basil soup with fresh mozzarella, crusty bread
Wednesday: Chinese chicken salad

Thursday: Crockpot falafel, hummus, pita bread

Friday - Monday: Hanging with family for Memorial Day weekend!


Erika

6 comments:

bree said...

Yes, I can definitely relate! Good reminder to reevaluate and see where we can make life easier on us and our families!

Off the subject, what did you end up doing with all your honey from Azure? I remember you saying you were working on getting it into smaller containers. I want to order the raw honey next time but can't imagine wielding that big ol' gallon around.

Unknown said...

I haven't been in that exact position, but good for you for re-evaluating and figuring out how to make things easier. Your baby is only going to be a baby for a little while. It won't be long before she's eating at the table with the family and creating a different kind of chaos! :)

Your menu sounds really yummy. I need to try that crockpot falafel!

Erika said...

Bree - I was totally worried about how I was going to transfer the honey from the gallon to smaller containers too. I put my honey into pint sized jars (wide mouth ones were easier). It was actually really easy and fairly mess free. It didn't really get messy until the last container.

Erika

Frugal Living Online said...

I can totally relate. My husband and I often wonder when eating will be about enjoying food again and we get to stop managing the entire experience.

I am reevaluating dinner too and realizing that I need to do way more freezer cooking. Some day I'll have the energy and time to cook at 5:00 again!

Angela

Unknown said...

any chance you could share your Morrocan chicken stew recipe? It sounds really good!! Thanks.

Bekki said...

For all of you I have some recommendations. Two books, actually. One is Love and Logic: From Birth to 6 Years. They also have a website and deal with the whole dinner issue. We have an almost 3 week old baby, and a son who is almost 3. Conversations, when important, are always interrupted by a voice that doesn't quite yet get volume control. What has SAVED my life (with my son, and now my daughter) is an Ergo baby carrier. It will free up your hands again and is really comfortable.
The other book is by Deborah Taylor-Hough, called Frozen Assetts. I recommend the book out with the "light" recipes.
Hope these are helpful for everyone...they sure have been great for me.