Thursday, April 29, 2010

Organic & Natural Living Thursday

I was feeling a bit uninspired today, but I just ran across some great information at the Frugal Green Family that I thought I'd pass along.


There is a new printable 2010 pesticide ranking guide available from the Environmental Working Group. It has an updated list of the fruits and veggies with most and least pesticides.


Check out this Non-GMO Shopping Guide. You can download a copy of it for free and keep it with you when you shop for reference. I'm super excited about this one because I'm always wondering if a product I'm buying (when it's non-organic) contains GMO's.


Here are a couple tips from the guide on how to avoid genetically modified food:
#1: Buy organic. Certified organic products are not allowed to contain any GMOs. Even if the product is labeled as "made with organic ingredients" and only requires 70% of the ingredients to be organic, it still has to be 100% non-GMO.

#2: Look for non-GMO labels. Some companies may put that they are non-GMO on their product. For example, the Rumford baking powder we have at home is labeled as not being made with genetically-modified corn.

#3: Avoid certain ingredients, including corn, soy, canola oil, cottonseed oil, and beet sugar (100% cane sugar is ok).

#4: Follow the shopping guide, and keep it with you for when you go to the store.


Erika

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that you guys are doing the organic thing now. I hope I'm not repeating something, but today I found a stack of $1 off ANY Safeway O Organics product coupons in my Safeway's Pharmacy. They don't expire until 12/31/10! It's a single coupon on a pamphlet sized card. Thank you guys so much for all your hard work. You're awesome!