In going toward a more organic and natural lifestyle on a budget, I've realized that along with creativity, it's going to take some buying in bulk. I was super excited when I found Bob's Red Mill. They are local and have a large variety of natural and organic healthy food that are quite reasonably priced. I was just about to go there and stock up on some basics like rice, flour, beans, etc. when I came across Azure Standard.
They are a local company based in Dufur, OR that specializes in natural, organic and earth-friendly products. They deliver directly to customers by UPS and semi-truck. Go HERE to check out their website. You will need to set up an account in order to view their prices.
When I started comparing their prices on the organic products I regularly buy to Bob's Red Mill and the other stores I normally shop at (Fred Meyer, New Seasons, etc.), I quickly realized that they are way less expensive on many things, even without coupons!
Here are some pricing examples:
- Thai Kitchen Organic coconut milk - $1.50 each when you buy in a case of 12
- Rumiano Mozzerella cheese - 6 lbs. for $18! (comes from cows fed all natural, vegetarian diet, no antibiotics, hormones, steriods, etc.) I just bought 1 lb. from Trader Joes of non-rBST mozzerella cheese for $4.59, and was pretty happy with that price.
- Organic oats - 25lbs. for $16.40 (that's $.66/lb!)
- Organic whole wheat pastry flour - 25lbs. for $12.45 (at Bob's Red Mill it's $25!)
- 1 gallon raw honey - $30
- Organic shredded coconut - 5lbs for $2.50 ($2.20/lb.)
- Natural Value organic peanut butter - $3.50
- Organic beans (large variety) - all in the range of $1.30/lb.
- Organic Basmati rice - around $2/lb.
And the catch............
There's always a catch, isn't there? In order to get free shipping, your order must be a minimum of $50. When ordering for the first time, you will need to call Azure Standard, give them your location and they will find a "drop site" that is closest to you where your order will be shipped to.
FYI: I live in Happy Valley. The closest drop site I was able to find was in Boring. I was told that there are also ones in Sandy, Gresham, Fairfield, and NE Portland. I am considering becoming a drop site for the Happy Valley/Clackamas area, but would need to know if there would be enough interest. The minimum total order for a drop site is $550 (you can have lots of orders of $50 to make up the $550 total). Hopefully that makes sense!
Anyways, if you would be interested in putting in an order, and the Happy Valley area would be closest for you, reply to this post or send us an email. The next delivery date is 4/22 with an order cut off date of 4/20. If I'm able to get enough interest to put an order together and become a drop site, I'll let you all know!